Last week I told you that you shouldn’t write a book – read that here.
Today, I want to share another reason why you should NOT write a book – and it goes hand-in-hand with the “because someone told your story should be a book.”
The other time you should NOT write a book is as a feather-in-your-cap moment. As in, you’ve got a coach, mentor, or advisor telling you that you’ve reached a certain level of fame and it’s time to write your book.
Oh that just makes me cringe!
Now I firmly believe that books are great to build your credibility and expertise. Being a published author is GREAT cred.
But only if you’re writing your book because YOU want to – because you’re ready to share your message.
Years ago, I edited a book for a client. And let me tell you friend… it was BORING. Like dry-as-dust boring. If I wasn’t being PAID to read it… I would have stopped.
When I asked her, gently, about WHY she wanted to write a book (because I was going to offer my writing coaching to help her out!) she told me:
I’m at the place in my business I just SHOULD write a book.
You figured that out correctly: she had no burning desire to write her book. It was just another thing to check off – like creating a sales page, opt-in gift, or setting up a social media profile.
No WONDER the book was so boring – there was ZERO heart in it.
After a few lackluster sales, the book slipped into Amazon oblivion.
A close cousin of the “because my coach said I needed a book” SHOULD book is the book that you think you have to write FIRST – before you write the book you really want to write. I see THIS with my clients All.The.Time.
If you think you need to write your signature system book BEFORE you write your memoir, think again. People want YOU – all of you. And what they want more than anything is your message.
So let’s write the book. Put DOWN the “Should” and write the book you want to write, the one that lights you up.
It all starts with “Brew Your Book: Stop “Percolating” on Your Message and FINALLY Write Your Book” and I want you to join me. Tickets are just $97.
This is a live and virtual 3-day event happening September 20-22, 2022. In just three days, you’ll learn how to write a powerful book that shares your message – without struggling to get the writing done.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The steps to uncover your powerful message so you can move your readers – and change their lives.
- Exactly how to write powerfully and easily – even if you think you’re not a writer or struggle with expressing yourself in written word.
- What needs to go into the book and what doesn’t so that your reader feels that you understand them – and are here to help.
- How to deal with procrastination, writer’s block, overwhelm, and lack of motivation so that you’re able to keep going – moving forward and making steady progress – even if your inspiration gets derailed.
- My proven method to consistently finding the time to write no matter how busy your life is!
- How to engage your readers – from the first page – so that they keep reading, and so they recommend your book to their friends.
- How to share your message in a way that your readers will remember – even if they forget the steps of your process, acronym, or system.
- Why writing a book is the best way to be seen as an expert – and how having a book can open doors to interviews, speaking gigs, and more clients.
- And more…
And when you register before September 10, 2022, you’ll also receive a physical “Gift Box” from me!
This event WILL sell out so don’t wait!
- Myth: I Can’t Write a Book Because I Have ADHD/Dyslexia - January 31, 2023
- How Dogs Can Help with Loving Your Writing Process (without Shame) - January 24, 2023
- BEST Notebook for Writing Your Book - January 17, 2023