I was just telling Ben today how much I LOVE the five days between Christmas and New Years. It feels like a huge push to get to Christmas with endless preparation, shopping, cooking, and cleaning. (And lights to see, songs to sing, yummies to eat, and traditions to make and carry!)
Then on December 26…
The whole world takes a collective pause.
The stores are busy, but they lack that crazy pre-Christmas frantic-ness. (Yes, even with long return lines, the stores are quieter – we shopped for a laptop and shoes today!)
The trimmings of the season are still out, still beautiful, but they’ve faded into a quiet background – the anticipation has worn off.The world takes a pause 12/26-12/31, What are YOU doing? Click To Tweet
Kids are out of school but there’s not much on the to-do list.
I find that these five days are the most underused time of the year! It’s so easy to fritter it away noshing on leftovers, watching bad TV, and creating a Kim-shaped dip in the couch. The world is on pause – and it’s easy to get caught up in the nothingness of these five days.
Then New Years Day comes in a rush – with glossy magazine articles about resolutions, goals, and forming new habits. All of which is punctuated by the fact that you just did nothing for the last five days!
This is the last article of 2017 … and you’re perfectly poised to make the most of the collective pause.
Take some time and decide if 2018 is the year you write your book.
Start your outline. Hone your idea.
It’s also the perfect time of year to re-write your website copy, freshen up your blog, and get that nagging project off your plate so you don’t carry it with you from the old year into the new.
(Shhhh … I’m really excited I’m home this year and not traveling! It’s my opportunity to use these five days too!)
For me, I’ll be:
- De-junking the office and catching up on my physical and digital filing system
- Taking a look at my website copy, sales pages, and forms
- Starting my 2018 goal-setting workbooks from Leonie Dawson (I do these even from the car when we travel!)
- Enjoying the Christmas decorations for one last week before I pack them away
- AND working on two exciting client projects!
2018 is going to bring some changes – and I’m excited! I love the “fresh-slate” feeling of a new year and I’m not ashamed to say I’ll be taking full advantage of the upsurge of “New!” energy to jumpstart some exciting offerings.
Leave me a comment and let me know what you’ll be doing this week.
- The hidden days in EVERY year are almost here! What’s your plan? - December 5, 2023
- Do Authors Need to “Get Out There”? – aka Are You Afraid of Being Seen? - November 28, 2023
- 56 Best Gifts for Authors – 2023 - November 21, 2023