I recently got asked to submit a guest article for a blog. My first thought was “Yay! Awesome! Of course!” Then when I actually WROTE it on my To Do list, I realized that just WRITING the article was only part of what I needed to do.
Here are 4 steps when you’ve been asked to submit a guest post:
(This is when SHE is asking YOU – not you pitching an idea!)
1. Review their website and blog
Since you were invited to write, it’s probably a safe bet to say that HER audience is a good fit for you. But you still want to spend some time checking out her website and blog.
- What’s the tone? Is it formal or conversational?
- Is there anything there that doesn’t align with your business or personal vision? Your name will be forever associated with this other person so before you send them your article, be sure there’s nothing there that you’re uncomfortable with or regret.
- How long are the articles?
- Is the target audience beginning or advanced?
- Have there been any guest experts in your field or industry? It’s okay if there are, you just want to make sure you’re saying something different.
2. Make sure you’re crystal clear on the requirements and deadline
Guest posting are only a win-win when BOTH of you are clear! That includes: