It happens to everybody: you, me, the guy down the street…
Suddenly, you’re overcome with the feelings of just faking it. (And “it” changes – today it’s parenting, tomorrow it’s writing your book.)
And while bouts of impostor syndrome happen to everyone, you can’t LIVE in that space. Especially when you’re trying to write your book and share your message with the world. After all, you can’t help the people you are meant to help if you’re stuck hiding.
The best way to get over impostor syndrome is to provide your brain (and heart) actual PROOF that you are not faking it. Here are two things you can do to create courage when you’re faced with impostor syndrome.
1. Grab one of your (unused) pretty notebooks and your favorite pen
That notebook you’ve been saving? This is a great use for it. As you go through your days take a moment to jot down PROOF that you’re a successful writer.
Wrote on your book today? Put that in the notebook.
Got positive comments on a social media post? Put that in the notebook.
Had a press release published? Put that in the notebook.
What you’re creating is a PROOF file of all the ways you succeed as a writer – big and small. Then, when you’re wrestling with impostor syndrome as a writer, you’ve got proof, ready to go, that you’re not.
But what if you’re currently in the midst of impostor syndrome and don’t have a proof file ready to go?
2. Grab a blank piece of paper and a big, fat marker
On that (big) piece of paper write in marker (bold!)
I am an author.
Put your hand over your heart and read that aloud to yourself. Again. Again. And each time you look at the words, say them aloud, and feel your hand on your chest.
You may start in a whisper. But I want you to – intentionally – say the words “I am an author” with more volume and belief.
Why are they written, spoken aloud, and you’ve got a hand on your chest?
To hit your brain visually, auditorily, and kinetically. (Yes, it matters.)
Impostor syndrome can also be the Mental Monster™ called “Who am I?” All Mental Monsters™ are insidious. And they often show up in pairs. You can learn about them all in my free class, How to Finally Write Your Book (5 Steps) in 2023 – Without Sacrificing Your Life!
Learn from a best-selling author exactly how I help message-driven authors JUST LIKE YOU to write their non-fiction books in 15 minutes a day – even if you’ve struggled for years. (Yes, this works for how to books, process-based books, and memoir!)
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- All you need for your book is to write down your signature talk, right? WRONG! I’ll explain how your book needs to be so much more.
- If you do this one thing you’ll be GUARANTEED to get MORE writing done… without giving up Netflix, your kids’ soccer games, or locking yourself in your office. (Hint: I’m a busy mom of three!)
- My PROVEN system to write a message-driven book… so that you can reach the people you’re meant to reach! This is the system I use myself AND it has helped authors around the world to FINALLY start – and finish – their books!
- AND debunking the Mental Monsters™ that keep you from even getting started… including my brand of Monster Spray that is sure to work. Get this wrong and you’ll NEVER finish your book.
- My Secret to Writing Your Book Like a Boss - September 26, 2023
- Daily Actions for Bootstrapping Your Book - September 19, 2023
- 3 Honest Truths About Connecting with Your Divine Calling - September 12, 2023